9.28.2010

Who's the Boss?

September 28, 2010


The other day at football practice, there were some kids who were yelling at each other. The coach looked at them and calmly said, "Don't yell at each other." That was it. He didn't get angry. He didn't raise his voice to show dominance. 


I wonder what would happen if I did that? Okay. So, I know that old habits die hard. That goes for me and the kids. But, if I can work really hard to keep my voice calm, and work less on proving my dominance and more on being consistent when they disobey, then maybe I will see miraculous changes!


Why do I feel like I have to "thump my chest" with them? Where is it written that "she who screams loudest wins"? I don't have to prove that I am the "boss". I don't know who I am trying to convince anyway. It is so pointless. And it is actually NOT working for me. I know that I do not want to be a raging lunatic all the time. And I certainly don't want to pass it down to my kids. I am going to give this "peaceful" thing a good ole fashioned try!


"I listen carefully to what God the Lord is saying, for he speaks peace to his people, his faithful ones. But let them not return to their foolish ways." Psalm 85:8


"Turn away from evil and do good. Work hard at living in peace with others." Psalm 34:14

No comments: