4.21.2014

{what's in a name}

April 21, 2014

I have always loved names.
I've made lists for as long as I can remember of what names I would give to my children.
Nomi. 
{I was a young teenager trying desperately to avoid fitting into a mold.}
My second son was named Saylor for about two weeks when he lived in my uterus.

Ultimately, I ended up with 
Karli Blayne 
{She's named after my godfather.}
Drake William Elie 
{ He's named after Freddie's 2 grandfathers.}
Brant James Lee 
{ He's named after Freddie Thomas James and Freddie's parents- both who have Lee as a middle name.}
Aubree AnnaLynn
{She's named after my grandmother and my godmother.}

Their names are very significant to me.
Their first names are names that I liked. 
Names that settled into a place within me that just felt right.

I have always taught my children to treat their names with respect.
Especially their family name.
My boys need to be certain that they give that name to the right girl.
Their names are significant and special and important.
When their name is spoken, a thought will be come to mind.
It is important to make sure that those thoughts are honorable.

Maybe, they will do so much with their life here on earth 
that their names will live on like many others before them.
Abraham Lincoln.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Mother Theresa
Moses
Jesus.

But what if they don't?
Will their name fade away into history, 
etched only onto a headstone never to be spoken again?
I believe that no matter how long their names, 
or mine,
is spoken of here on earth
it will never sound as sweet or mean so much 
as when our name is called in Heaven!

I will hear Jesus present me to His Father one day by my name.

"Conquerors will march in the victory parade, their names indelible in the Book of Life. I'll lead them up and present them by name to my Father and his Angels." Revelation 3:5

No comments: