8.31.2011

Copy Cat

August 31, 2011

Bath time. I'm sure that many of you mothers out there know that anytime the bath water starts to run it's an invitation for little wee ones to get naked and hop in for a playdate with mommy. Well, my house is no exception. Every once in a while I put my foot down and demand a hot soak all to myself, but usually it's a nice time to connect with my kids with few distractions from the ins and out of life. Community baths end when modesty begins. So, these days it tends to be just Aubree who cares to take a dip with me.

Well, she and I were bathing and the dialogue went something like this:
Aubree: "Mom, remember when we were playing like you were my baby daughter and I was cooking?"
Me: "Yes." 
Aubree: "Wanna do that again?"
Me: "I'd love to!"
Aubree: "Okay baby. Let's have a bath."
Me: "Mommies don't sit on their babies."
Aubree: "Give me a hug you sweet girl."


So, the play and the banter continued back and forth for a little while. Then, I decided that my muscles deserved some rest time of their own after what I'd put them through a few hours before at the gym. Luckily for them, I have this wonderful soaking tub and I found a nice little spot to put my head back and close my eyes and check out for a few minutes while Aubree was busy "being my Mommy". So she takes the wet washcloth and pours water on my stomach to wash me. Then she says, "Okay baby. Now you wash Mommy." And she leans back on her hands like she's relaxing and closes her eyes. Just. Like. Me. I laughed very hard! I'm talking a belly shaking from my gut laugh. It was so cute and so funny! But, I quickly realized... she is learning exactly how to behave from ME. That was a very sobering thought.

Note to self: Make sure your behavior is worthy of being copied at all times.

"Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ." 1Corinthians 11:1


"When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, 'Do you understand what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you should also do just as I have done to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.'" John 13:12-17



No comments: