9.10.2012

Just Do Your Job

September 10, 2012

I sit today and I have no idea what words will spill from my fingertips onto the blank screen. I whisper a prayer for God to author a blog and this is what He gives me.

"Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me- put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:9

It's ironic in a way. My friend, Angie, wrote a blog this morning over at Joli on Transition. I feel like she wrote that blog post just for me. My life has certainly gone through a transition (or two) of its own recently. And as you can read in Angie's post, it can be uncomfortable. It can feel like peace is light years away and your world is off balance and out of sorts. I'd like to add that the temptation and natural human urge through transition can also result in ungodly behavior if you're not extremely careful to seek God's heart constantly.

It's so easy to let your hurt, fear, anger, & bitterness bubble up and ooze out like infectious puss from a sore. Somehow, we've allowed ourselves to believe that in the game of life it's okay to repay hurt with hurt, ugliness with ugliness. We justify this with "An eye for an eye". But, we conveniently forget about "You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord." Leviticus 19:18 or "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you," Matthew 5:43-44 {Jesus said that Himself, y'all! And He also said this->} "By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13:35. "If anyone says, 'I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." 1John 4:20.

We as Christians have a difficult role to play sometimes. We must LOVE others when everything in our bodies goes against that. We must LOVE when we have been hurt deeply by those we have trusted with our hearts. We must LOVE. Period. We are called to LOVE- not to hurt, not to prove that we are right, not to prove that you are not better than me. We have to be Kingdom focused! Those foolish, prideful things will not matter in eternity.

Why should we love those who are often difficult to love? Quite simply... Jesus died for each and every one of us. We have all be unlovable at one point in time or another. He paid the price for all sin once and for all. He does not want to see anyone spend eternity in the fires of hell. It is our job as Christ followers to show the love of Jesus to everyone so that all can be saved.

I look back to the recent history of my current transitions. Have I loved? There are times where I can clearly say absolutely! I loved well. I am proud that I represent Jesus Christ. But, there were other times that I gave in to my selfish hurts. I let my anger and pride poke tiny, little holes. And we can fool ourselves into believing that tiny, little holes are not as bad as the big ones, but, your bucket will empty from tiny, little holes just like it will from a big one, it just might take a little longer. God does not want us empty; He wants to fill us with Him. So, yeah, there have been times that instead of being that real, live example of Christ, I failed. But, today is a reminder to go out and LOVE. Even when it's hard.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23

"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you." Ephesians 4:32

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled;" Hebrews 12:14-15


No comments: