3.21.2012

A Wild Ride

March 21, 2012

Parenting.
Such a wild ride.
Filled with so many unexpected twists and turns.
My emotions can be all over the place in any given day.

Sometimes I look at my children and I am overcome with the purest form of human love.
Sometimes I become overwhelmed and frustrated.
Other times I am disappointed.
I have my moments of fear and feelings of inadequacy.

I don't have all the answers.
Although, before I had kids, I thought that I had the course mapped out. 
Nothing like reality to wake you up from your daydreams!
But, I am growing in experience and confidence.

I have to remember to keep my eyes focused on my goals for my children.
Otherwise, discipline would be way too hard for me.
I must remember who God has called them to be.
Christ followers.

My job is to weave certain character traits into the fabric of their lives.
I must remember that when I require certain things of them, 
I am helping them to realize their God-given potential.
I am also being obedient to my Father.

It is important to me to teach them to care about others, even before themselves.
I want them to be respectful of the priceless wisdom embedded in gray hair and wrinkles.
I want them to realize the value of their words and the important of honesty.
I want them to know that sometimes "you don't have to want to, you just have to do it".

They may not understand everything that I am trying to accomplish 
when I have them do the dishes or take out the trash.
And that's okay. For now.
But, I must stay the course, no matter how rough the waters get.

"Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6


"Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord." Ephesians 6:4


"Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them." Deuteronomy 4:9


"Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Deuteronomy 11:19

No comments: