8.01.2011

Portion Control

August 1, 2011

How do you feed your kids the Word of God without choking them with it?

As parents we all want the absolute best for our kids. We make countless sacrifices effortlessly, without even a second thought. We second guess our selves around each corner. We ache when our children are hurt. But, our ultimate goal, our most important goal, should be to raise them to know Jesus. To love Him. To invite Him into their hearts and lives to reside until that day when they get to Heaven for eternity. 

What do you do when you have a child who is just not that interested? When I was a teenager, my parents changed religions and I was force fed with a shovel everything they believed with an urgency like there was literally no tomorrow! Let me tell you, it was damaging to my spiritual life! I have vowed to be careful not to do the same thing to my kids. I certainly do no want them to have the same obstacles to overcome as I did. But, it IS my responsibility to teach them, lead them, expose them, encourage them. And pray for them. 

There comes a time in a young girl's life when she is desperately struggling to figure out who she is, much less, who she is in Christ. Yes, my friends. I am walking with a tweenager through this often dark and scary journey. If you've never been here before, lucky you. It's really not that fun sometimes. I am actually quite confused by it most of the time, even though I remember being there as a girl myself. I'm just not sure of the right things to do or say. I do know from my experiences some things not to do or say, but, it's really not that much help.

I may have made a mistake several months ago when I agreed to let her attend church with Freddie and I instead of going to a class designed specifically for her age. We are so blessed to have found an awesome church! But, she decided that the teachers in that class treat her like a baby. {I don't think she realizes that she's not grown!} Okay. So, maybe Momma just took the bait- hook, line, and sinker! Whatever. Anyway, recent events have opened my eyes to the fact that she is not getting fed with the right utensils, so to speak. As of last Sunday, she's officially back in "the class" until they kick her out and up to the next age group in 8 months! Lord- no pressure here, but, can you work fast? Amen. 

She's not happy. But, maybe, her heart will soften. Maybe she will give it a fair try. Maybe she will super secretly grow to love this class and make some friends and beg me to bring her to the youth group next year every Wednesday. Maybe she will "get It" and not want to ever live "without It" again!

Lord, please help me to be a good model of Your Love, Your Grace, and Your Mercy. Please, help me be slow to anger and discipline with wisdom and fairness. Please let my life exude the happiness of my heart so that others will see You and want what only You can give. I ask that you fill this house with Your peace and Your protection. In Jesus' most Holy Name I pray. Amen.

"Then he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" And they said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household." Acts 16:30-31

No comments: