12.12.2012

Heirlooms

December 12, 2012

CHRISTmas is fast approaching.
I'm sure you're all well aware-
 especially if you've tried to get any shopping done lately.
I love so many things about this time of year.
I love when it gets cold enough to wear a jacket.
I love seeing all the houses lit up with lights and festive displays.
I love parties and food.
And smiling, smiling's my favorite.  
{Sorry, I couldn't help it. Too many CHRISTmas movies, I guess.}

I hope that my kids are developing their own love for CHRISTmas.
I know that tradition has already become very important to them.
My {extended} family has changed a couple of things
 in the way we celebrate 
and my kids are outside this very minute 
staging a full blown protest, 
complete with signs and all! 
The po-po are out there trying to keep the peace. 
{Okay. Sorry, again. I don't know what's gotten into me today.}

I remember when I was a little girl.
Momma would put out her decorations
and put up a tree.
My sister and I always got to throw on the icicles.
Daddy let us go wild and crazy- the more the better.
Momma always preferred for us to do it neatly and organized.
Placing each one with purpose and intent.
Guess who won?

There was also this little house that she had.
It was probably made of Styrofoam.
It was decorated to look like winter time, complete with snow.
Santa was attached to a wire that shot out of the chimney 
that was intended to be invisible, I'm sure,
but back in the 70's we had to use our imagination a lot!
Anyway, when you pulled the string on the back
Music played and Santa flew around the house driving his sleigh.

I wish I had that house.
For some reason, that little house is attached to many of my 
CHRISTmas memories as a little girl.
And that got me thinking.
I want my kids to have an heirloom from CHRISTmas at home.
I wanted it to be simple.
Oh, and it must be musical.
I want them to remember their childhood CHRISTmases fondly
and I want them to have a physical reminder that they can pass on 
from one generation to the next, 
along with stories and memories of us!

Do you have any traditions or heirlooms?

"But when the set time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, that we might receive adoption to sonship." Galatians 4:4-5

No comments: