12.04.2012

Oh, Deer!

December 4, 2012

Today was LIBRARY day! We have not had one of those in so long I cannot remember.
It happened that Aubree and Brant both had lessons that required books from the library, so I thought it would be a nice {FREE} outing for us all.

Aubree usually does not go with us to the library. When I told her about our plans this morning, she informed me that she "cannot be quiet except when she is sleeping" and she reminded me that even then she "talks in her sleep". Hence the reason that Aubree usually does not go with us to the library.

She did manage to be quiet- for the most part. The biggest issue we had was that she wanted to take books off the shelves {without help} and just put them back all willy-nilly. That's every librarian's nightmare, isn't it? Oh well, I managed to keep her occupied for a little while with the computer there.

I really did not intend on checking out any books. It was supposed to be an afternoon spent at the library reading. But, 9 movies and several books found their way to my house. Cut me some slack though, 3 of the movies are Sight Word movies. This morning Aubree asked me to "please teach {her} to read" so I thought this would be a great first step.

After the library, we grabbed a quick bite to eat and then we headed to the store to pick up crafting supplies.  I had every intention on making the most of our day off from school by giving my kids an incognito home economics lesson.

Once we got home though, my plans were quickly foiled by those movies that came home with us. You win some, you lose some.

I did, however, whip out my sewing machine and fabric scraps and whipped up a little project that I've had my heart set on for several weeks now.


It's certainly not perfect. But, I am happy with it. When you wing it, you kind of learn as you go by trial and error. IF I make another one, I will not put the deer's neck so far into the seam and I would make sure he's more off center than he is on this one. I really would like to make one for my new bedroom with a gray background and the deer out of some really pretty, girly, vintage, flowery, pink fabric.

I would like to teach Karli some basic sewing skills by having her make herself a pillow for her room with her initial instead of the deer head. Who knows, maybe I'll let the boys each do the same as well.

We've got a few more craft projects waiting in the wings. Stay tuned and I'll be sure to post pics as soon as they're complete!

Have you made any crafts this holiday season?
 I'd love to hear about them! 
Won't you share by leaving a comment with all the details?


"She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night. In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers. She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy. When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet. She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple." Proverbs 31:17-22

No comments: