4.06.2011

Let's Eat: Week 6

April 6, 2011

Watching My Weight Wednesday

It's that time again to share some "low-carb" food options with you. My son had a birthday party this weekend and I saw people that I hadn't seen in several months. It felt REALLY good to hear things like- "Your diet is working, I see." and "You've lost some weight, Dana!" Even though the scale is moving slowly, it IS moving in the direction I want to go. But, even more importantly, I am seeing results in the way my clothes fit me. I can actually try on shirts and walk out with some that don't look too bad. Before, I looked either pregnant or like a marshmallow in almost everything! (I only wish I were joking.)

This diet is actually not too hard to stick to, as far as diets go. In the beginning, I really thought that I was going to struggle! As a cajun, our diet consists basically of all carbs- rice and potatoes with every meal. And if we aren't eating rice, we're eating pasta! And don't get me started on bread. My family hasn't suffered by my diet either. I have four little children who are just as drunk on carbs as they ever were. It comes down to me making a choice to either keep the carbs or keep the weight. I make it a challenge to find options that are low in carbs that will satisfy my latest "craving".

What exactly do I feed my family you ask? Well, pretty much what we've always eaten with a few modifications.  Here's an example of supper at our house....
Now this may not look like much, but, let me assure you... it was "Fi-Ya", as my lovely husband would say! (That means it was really, really delicious.) 

I was hungry for a pork roast. So, I bought what I thought was a whole Boston Butt, but when I got it home, I realized it was a sliced Boston Butt. No problem I'll make it work. I whipped out my handy, dandy electric roasting pan thingy (that's the technical term) that my awesome MIL bought me for CHRISTmas and set about the business of cooking supper. I coated the pan with a little bit of oil and flour (yes, I know, but it was only a trace amount~ this Cajun wanted some gravy!). I threw in my seasoned meat and let the magic happen. (Stirring occasionally.) As a side dish, we had egg salad (potato salad minus the potato) and broccoli and cheese.

I hope you'll try this. You won't be disappointed!

"You say, 'Food is for the stomach, and the stomach is for food.' This is true, though someday God will do away with both of them."1Corinthians 6:13

"Those who think it is all right to eat anything must not look down on those who won't. And those who won't eat certain foods must not condemn those who do, for God has accepted them." Romans 14:3

No comments: