4.11.2011

The Thing About Kids

April 11, 2011

Friday night, Karli had her Birthday Sleepover! Those are always so much fun and I love to see her still interacting with her old "public school" friends. The girls are all getting so big and growing up WAY too fast! Yes, it's Cliche- but man is it ever true!

Anyway, considering my oldest just turned TWELVE a few days ago, I've been thinking lately about what advice I would give to new mothers knowing what I know now. I clearly remember feeling very confident when I had Karli. I was ready. Prepared. I'd read everything I could get my hands on. My kids were going to eat, drink, sleep, dress, and behave exactly the way I wanted them to. (Okay, those of you with kids can stop laughing at me! NOW I know better.) Very quickly, I realized that I actually contributed very little to my child's will in these areas. Karli did NOT nap- ever, unless she was in my arms. She also was the most finicky eater that has ever graced the planet in all of history. And my boys came complete with minds of their own as well. Drake could barely talk, but, if he said he did not like a certain shirt I just as soon not bother to bring it home because he would NOT wear it!

Back to the advice thing. So, what advice would I give to a new Mom? Well, here it is, once again, in bullets, because, well, you know, that's how I roll.

  • Never say never. You WILL be forced to eat those words one day. Take it from me, it doesn't taste good.
  • I promise, "This, too, shall pass." 
  • From birth, always tell your child how much you love her. Make it clear. Say it often. She will remember, even if you don't think she can understand what you're saying!
  • Teach him to pick up after himself from the beginning & give him chores that are age appropriate. This is important on so many levels. It's totally about growing your child into a responsible adult.
  • If you co-sleep, it's not the end of the world. One day, too soon, she will NOT want to be cuddled.
  • Discipline is harder than anything else, even labor. I've got nothing else on the subject. I'm still trying to figure it out.
  • Don't forget to spend time alone with your child's father. It's a really important gift that you give, not only to yourself and your husband, but, to your child as well.
  • Encourage his grandparent's to tell your child about when they were children. These gifts are priceless.
  • Feed your child's interest.
  • When you make a mistake, it's important to apologize to your child. They learn important lessons about forgiveness and that no one, not even Mommy, is perfect.
  • Some days are meant to be spent in bed with a gallon of ice cream and some HGTV!
  • Most importantly, teach your child about God.

"Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him. Children born to a young man are like sharp arrows in a warrior's hands. How happy is the man whose quiver is full of them!" Psalm 127:3-5

What advice would you give to a new Mommy?

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Such an excellent post with real raw honest advice! Love it! I only have a few words of advice: Love hard and pray ALOT!