4.13.2011

Lets Eat: Week 7

April 13, 2011

Watching My Weight Wednesday

I was talking about "dieting" with someone the other day. I hate that word. Don't you? It implies restriction and difficulty. The word DIE is in Diet for a reason! It automatically, instantly changes the expression on my face. Let's face it... it is not fun to DIET. We have become accustomed to satisfying our cravings and desires quite easily where food is concerned. When you diet, you have to say NO to those unhealthy desires. And the problem, sometimes, is that you are the only one saying no while everyone else around you is screaming YES! Now, that's tough! But, not impossible.

I've recently starting limiting my carb intake. I've said it before, here in Cajun Country, our diets are overflowing with carbs at EVERY single meal! Most Cajuns eat rice 5-6 times a week, at least! And we've come up with some really creative and delicious things to do to potatoes for those times that we don't have rice. So, how do I do it with four skinny little kids who can and do eat like it's their last meal all the time? Do I put everyone on a low-carb diet? Well, kind of, but not really.  I've shared a few recipes with you so far that I've incorporated into our lives. But, my kids are normal kids who love pizza, and rice and gravy, and pasta- oh my! Sometimes, I just make a carb-heavy normal meal for them and then modify it to suit my needs. Example: Monday night the kids wanted tacos. And for the record, so did I. They had tacos till their skinny little hearts were content. I, on the other hand, had Taco Salad until my pudgy little belly heart was content.

Taco Salad
(This is a stock photo. My salad was not nearly as pretty, but, it was delicious.)

I used one packet of taco seasoning per pound of ground turkey. I browned and seasoned the meat, spooned it over a nice lettuce salad, threw in a couple spoons of sour cream and I had a super fun party in my mouth! You can add a little shredded cheese, tomato, and olives if you'd like. I absolutely LOVE Mexican food. Yum. This was an excellent way to satisfy that craving with very few carbs! I even had left overs for lunch and couldn't have been happier!

You can "diet" and still satisfy the needs of your family who are not restricting their food intake at all. It's a matter of making the decision to do something good for yourself. My "friend" asked me how long I planned to stay on this diet and I told her that I was going to continue to be more strict until I lose another 5 pounds. After that, I will probably continue this lifestyle, occasionally making exceptions. It's really not that hard to do. It requires a little creativity and a few adjustments.... but isn't that half the fun?

"You say, 'Food is for the stomach, and the stomach is for food.' This is true, though someday God will do away with both of them."1Corinthians 6:13

"Those who think it is all right to eat anything must not look down on those who won't. And those who won't eat certain foods must not condemn those who do, for God has accepted them." Romans 14:3

1 comment:

Susan DiMickele said...

Hang in there! You can do it.

The salad made me hungry!