5.26.2011

Blue Eyes Crying in the.....

May 26, 2011


I was watching the final Oprah show yesterday with Karli. She had no guests on her final show. She spent the entire hour talking to her fans, both in studio and at home. She expressed her appreciation and wishes. It was emotional, inspiring, and thought provoking.  Every so often, one of my boys would walk into the room and say, "Why are you crying, Mom?" To which I would reply, "Because I'm a girl, and that's what we do." {You can laugh at me if you want. It's okay. I know that I'm a dork.}

I actually am not a real sappy girl in comparison to some of my friends~ you know who you are! I don't normally cry very easily. But, Miss Winfrey got me thinking about my hopes and dreams for my own kids. She said some things that inspired me to want to be a better mother. Her sentiments got me thinking about
how much I want for them. Those thoughts and emotions reduce me to a blubbering fool immersed in a full blown ugly cry. The desire in my heart for them to know how much I care about them and how special they each are is overwhelming and I lose all my composure. Thanks Oprah!

There was one thing that Oprah said that really stuck with me. And it not only pertains to my kids, but, to all of us. She said "that we all share a common thread. We all want to know that we matter!" It is so true. We all just really want to know that we are important to someone else. We want to feel as though we are missed when we are not around. We want to know that we bring something valuable to our relationships. We want to make a difference to someone else. We want to be worthy.

I want my husband to want to be with me before anyone else. I want my kids to love me because they can see how well I love them. I want my friends to appreciate me because they know that they can trust me. I want to be a helpful person. I want my experiences to benefit others. I want the wisdom I have earned over the years (however little or great) to not be in vain.

I don't know why we seek the approval of man so desperately. Feelings of not being good enough can have tragic consequences. It has lead many to depression and abuse- chemical, physical, sexual, self-mutilating. It can destroy a (wo)man's spirit so quickly and violently to a point where (s)he is no longer visible. This world can be a very cruel and trying place. But, we have hope! We have a living God who says we are worthy! So, when we are down, when we have those feelings of not being enough, we need only to remember the Man who gave all for us. And the thing is, He would have done it even if it were only for YOU.

Often times, we allow ourselves to sit and wallow in self-pity. What does that benefit? Do you want someone to pay attention to you because they feel sorry for you? I know I don't. There is no pleasure in receiving charity. You want to feel important? Then go out and do something for someone else. Make a difference somewhere. Change something for the better. It does not matter how small of a gesture you make. You will get back far more than you give. It's amazing how that works.

So, today, I challenge you to let someone know that they matter to you. Make sure your kids know that what they have to say is important. Don't let your spouse think that who they are is not priceless to your heart. Do something to make your friends feel appreciated. Love on someone who is sometimes difficult to love. Share some of your time with someone who is lonely. And even more, let them know that in the eyes of God, they are worthy!

"Don't be selfish; don't live to make a good impression on others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourself. Don't think only about your own affairs, but be interested in others, too, and what they are doing." Philippians 2:3-4

"When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners. Now, no one is likely to die for a good person, though someone might be willing to die for a person who is especially good. But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. And since we have been made right in God's sight by the blood of Christ, he will certainly save us from God's judgement. For since we were restored to friendship with God by the death of his Son while we were still his enemies, we will certainly be delivered from eternal punishment by his life. So now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God- all because of what our Lord Jesus Christ has done for us in making us friends of God." Romans 5:6-11

"Look at the birds. They don't need to plant or harvest or put food in barns because your heavenly Father feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than they are." Matthew 6:26

1 comment:

Traci Michele said...

I appreciate you!

Love,
Traci @ Ordinary Inspirations