5.31.2011

Summer 101

May 31, 2011

Well, summer is here! Yesterday was the official kick-off for us. The pools are up and running. Everyone worked very hard to get rid of the tell tale signs of a long winter and we've got a sparkly clean big pool for the big kids, a wanna be sparkly clean little pool for the little kids (I try), and a beach chair with Momma's name written all over it!

I had originally thought that we'd focus more on school this summer, but, my heart has since changed her mind. I am going to spend the next week or so with Drake to help him finish up his school year because he has the hardest time to stay "on task". He may or may not have a little attention issue~ but it's nothing that I care to validate with some medical term. He just works best with a coach to help keep him focused on the job at hand. Karli can see the sun light at the end of the proverbial tunnel and she knows that there's a swimming pool there, so I'm sure she's going to work hard to "get 'er done"! {I can't believe I just said "get 'er done" in a blog. Aye.} As for my little Brantie, well, he's actually way ahead of the ball game. We've already completed one year of school and are several weeks into another, so, I am going to give myself permission to take it easy and not sweat "catching him up" from the extra year I spent on Kindergarten with him. Even by taking off from "book work" for the summer, we will still not be behind and he'll easily finish second grade well before next summer arrives! I'm not saying that we're not doing ANY school work this summer. I'm just saying that we're going to enjoy this summer first and school will take second place to fun time for a change!

I've often said that I feel extremely blessed to be able to spend so much time with my kids. It is certainly one of the big motivating factors in my decision to home school them. Even still, our days are quite structured and it takes a lot of discipline to be successful. I am beginning to long for the days of being able to just pick up and go visiting with a friend, or pack an impromptu lunch for an afternoon at the park. I want to be able to go for a bike ride on a whim or spend the day relaxing in the pool. I also want to spend some time teaching my kids about sacrifice. {Probably the most important Life lesson they can learn.} I definitely want to get them involved this summer in making meals together {Home Economics, oh yeah!} to bring to our elderly grandparents. They can get very lonely and just spending time with them chatting over a cup of coffee can be the highlight of their week! And I suspect that they can tell some really cool stories of their lives as children. {History lessons! wink, wink} It's becoming more real to me that one day soon one or more of my children will much rather spend time doing things "away from the nest" and I need to make the most of what I've got while I've got it.

This weekend was such a blessing to me. It was the first time in a very long time that we had no real commitments to take up our time. We spent this long weekend doing things around the house. Freddie and I were able to sit for several hours under the shade of the big tree in our backyard, enjoying each others company and the cool afternoon breeze. The kids played hard and we realized how awesome family time really is! Thank you, Jesus, for all your blessings! My cup runneth over.

"And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation." Genesis 2:2-3


"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

No comments: