1.24.2013

Mine & HIS

January 24, 2013

My little boy woke up this morning and crawled up onto the couch and snuggled in with me under the blanket.
"Good morning, buddy," I said, "Did you sleep well?"
He sweetly shook his head Yes.
I sat quietly for a few moments, breathing him in.
"You want to know a Super Secret?" I asked.
To which he replied, "You're gonna tell me I'm your favorite, but you tell all the kids that."
And then I corrected him, I said, "If you brought all the 9 year olds, in all the universe to me, I would always choose YOU! You're my favorite."

And then I got to thinking.
I really would choose him out of all the nine year olds of the world.
And I'd choose Karli of all the thirteen year olds, and Drake of the eleven year olds, and Aubree of the five year olds. And you know what else? I'd choose Freddie of all the men on the Earth.
I imagined a parade of people being presented to me.
Smart kids.
Beautiful kids.
Talented kids.
Sick kids that would be so easy to love.
Rich men.
Gorgeous men.
Men who are princes.
Powerful men.
Famous men.
But none would even tempt me to pick them over the family that I have.

I know my husband and my kids intimately.
We have relationships that are special.
We have built trust between us.
A trust that I would never dare to damage or break.
I know their hearts and I've glimpsed their souls.

And then I thought-
God feels that way about me.
He wouldn't trade me for anything.
I am His.
We have a special relationship.
There has been a Trust that has been built between us.
A trust that I would never dare to damage or break.
He knows my heart and has glimpsed my soul and claimed it for His own.

For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them. (Psalm 139:13-16)

But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven ... (Matthew 10:30-32)

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. (John 10:10)

As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. (John 15:9-11)

For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him. (Romans 8:15-17)

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? … No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:31-3237-39)

Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. (Ephesians 5:1-2)

The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. (2 Peter 3:9)

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, with a new name written on the stone that no one knows except the one who receives it. (Revelation 2:17)

No comments: