1.07.2013

The Sixth Sick Sheikh's Sixth Sheep's Sick

January 7, 2013


Did you know...
One taste bud has 50-100 taste cells. No single cell can identify both sweet and bitter.

The tongue can pick up a fifth taste and the Japanese named it umami. It is the chemical responsible for glutamate.

The blue whale has the largest tongue. It is the size of an elephant and weighs 5,400 lbs!

The tongue is the strongest muscle in the body and the only muscle that is connected at only one end.

The tongue heals faster than any other part of the body.

Using a tongue scraper to clean your tongue is proven to prevent heart attacks, pneumonia, premature births, diabetes, osteoporosis and infertility in men.

The human tongue is as unique to you as your fingerprints since it comes in various shapes and has a variable number of taste buds.

Your tongue never stops working. Even when you sleep it is pushing saliva into your throat.

Thomas Blackstone holds the record for the strongest tongue. He lifted a 24lb 3oz weight that was hooked through his tongue.

The saying "cat got your tongue" originated 2500 years ago in ancient Assyria where conquered soldiers and criminals had their tongues cut out and fed to the king's cats.

The hardest tongue twister in the English language (according to Guinness World Records) is "The sixth sick sheikh's sixth sheep's sick."

We use our tongues to communicate by forming words that are decipherable to others.
Those words hold in them the power to hurt or heal.

How do you use the words from your tongue?

I know that I have done both.
I probably do both every single day.
Most of the time, it's not intentional to hurt others by what I say.
I'm just allowing my mouth to move faster than my brain.
Dangerous stuff, I tell ya.

I have been able to be an encouraging friend with my words.
I have used my tongue to express my love for others.
I use my tongue to teach my children,
sing songs of praise to God,
pray,
and {attempt} to be funny and witty.

And then there are the times that I have said things.
On purpose.
To justify my own pride.
Which hurt others in the process.
I have used my tongue as a sword.
A dagger to the heart.

I walk away, feeling satisfied in the moment.
But at what cost?
If I am supposedly representing the Love of Jesus
what message do I send to others when I am catty and messy?
That feeling of "I guess I told her" turns into "Oh no! What have I done?"
In the end, I'm left embarrassed that I gave in to selfish pride.
I did not take the high road; the one less traveled.
I let Satan win.

"So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire!" James 3:5

"Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits." Proverbs 18:21

"A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit." Proverbs 15:4

"I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak," Matthew 12:36 {those are the words of Jesus Himself!}

"Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit." Psalm 34:13

"With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so." James 3:9-10

They've made me feel like a prisoner
They've made me feel set free
They've made me feel like a criminal 
Made me feel like a king
They've lifted my heart to places I've never been
They've dragged me down back to where I began

Words can build you up
Words can break you down
Start a fire in your heart
Or put it out

Let my words be life
Let my words be truth
I don't want to say a word
Unless it points the world back to You

You can heal the heartache
Speak over the fear
God, your voice is the only thing we need to hear

Words can build us up
Words can break us down
Start a fire in our hearts
Or put it out

Let my words be life
Let my words be truth
I don't want to say a word
Unless it points the world back to You
Let the words I say
Be the sound of Your grace
I don't want to say a word
Unless it points the world back to You

I want to speak Your love
Not just another noise
I want to be Your life
I want to be Your voice



No comments: