1.09.2013

The Post About Home Schooling

January 9, 2013

Most of you already know that we are a home schooling family.
Some of you may think that I am a horrible mother 
because of that decision.
Others look at me with eyes that half envy our family 
because you would like to home school your children 
but, for whatever reason, do not feel qualified.

The question that I most often hear is
"Is it hard to home school?"
My answer is almost always exactly the same.
"It's not any harder than homework."
And that's a truthful answer.
But, it is the simple answer.

I guess, what I want people to know about home schooling 
is that, first and foremost,
 it is a blessing to our family.
It has become something that has aged 
into a really comfortable fit.
But, it's kind of like a new shoe- 
At first, it's stiff and there can be blisters and bleeding, 
even though it's super cute to look at.
But, in time, the shoe softens,
 it curves and molds to fit your foot just so.
Some people can wear heels, wedges, & stilettos 
because that's what they're most comfortable in.
But others can only wear tennis shoes or flip flops,
while others still can only wear orthopedic shoes.

A lot of people are curious as to why we home school.
The short answer to that is because God told me to.
Now, some of you will, 
but not everyone is going to understand that answer.
Basically, we had some of the same struggles with public school
 as many of you do.
And our kids were doing okay- some better than others.
But, for whatever reason, 
God put a burden on my husband's heart, 
and eventually my heart,
to educate our children at home. 
And we obeyed.
That decision does not make us less than or more than you.
It's just God's plan for our family.

As much as I would like everyone to believe 
that it is a perfect choice, 
I can't honestly say that it is.
As with anything, there are pros and cons.
We benefit more than we sacrifice,
so that's what makes it the right choice for us.
And, if at any point, the scale tips the other direction, 
we can choose to send our kids back to public or private school.
I've always said that public school 
is not the worst thing you can do to your kids.

For those of you who would love to home school your child(ren) but do not feel like you can, 
I would like to say that "You Can!"
I am not a Super Hero endowed with Super Powers.
I am simply a mother, 
who loves her children, 
who puts their education high up on the priority list, 
who is somewhat organized, 
who absolutely has a routine.

I don't have all the answers
 to every question that arises in school.
But, I know where to look to find those answers.
I am capable of learning, just like my kids are.
And a lot of the time, 
my kids are smarter than I am 
when it comes to facts and equations.
But, we live in a day and age 
where there is literally an endless source of 
information at our fingertips.

Finally, for those of you who are serious 
about wanting to home school 
but do not know where to start.
I say, start on your knees.
Make sure you hear from God first.
Then, start asking questions of other home schooling families.
Figure out how your child best receives information 
so that you know whether or not
to choose a computer based curriculum 
or a more hands-on approach.
There are countless options out there. 
Don't let yourself get overwhelmed with the choices.
Do research and ask questions.
And then, give yourself time
to break in your new pair of shoes.
Expect blisters and bleeding at first.
Before you know it, it'll be soft and comfortable.
And, if your shoes fall apart, 
you can always get a new pair.

Also, I want you to all realize that 
you are all home schooling your children. 
Whether or not they learn math and science at home 
or in a classroom somewhere.
You teach them morals, coping skills, religious beliefs, 
responsibility, honor, cooking, cleaning, hygiene.
The list goes on and on.
We are all parents who teach our children at home.
So, you see, we're really not that different after all.

"Train a child up in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes." Deuteronomy 6:5-8





No comments: