6.18.2010

Spiritual Gifts

June 18, 2010

Isn't it amazing how God works? My mom has been doing a women's Bible study about discovering your spiritual gifts and she has been sharing with me, trying to guess what my spiritual gifts are. Well, today, I was reading my daily devotion from a homeschool curriculum publisher and the topic was about .... dut duh da duh... " spiritual gifts".

This has me thinking about what gifts God has given each one of my children. Karli is 11 years old. However, she is much older than that. She is very responsible and trustworthy. Since she has been very little she has loved rules, knowing what they are and, for the most part, following them Structure is her friend. She shows signs of being a good "mother". She has helped me in taking care of her brothers and looking out for them to make sure they're safe since they were born. She also cares for her dog the same way. I can count on her. She is dependable. Drake is smart. That is the first word that comes to my mind when I think of him. Intellectual. He also enjoys comedy. He loves to laugh and loves to make others laugh. His dream in life is to win big on America's Funniest Home Videos! Drake likes to make his own decisions. He does not like to be "bullied" as he calls it. I have to be careful in my discipline techniques with him. He has a huge heart that can easily be broken. Brant is a very hard worker. Lazy is just not in his vocabulary. If his dad or I are doing work he wants to be right there helping out. He is a good team player. Always eager to lend a hand. He has a soft heart and is full of compassion for everyone. He is a very good hunter and can outshoot pretty much every one of his friends and siblings. Aubree is still little, but she is alot like Karli in her behavior and is very smart like Drake. So we will see how her personality/gifts unfold. She already has her daddy in the palm of her hand like no one else in this world.

I have a desire to help my children recognize their gifts and grow them in the way the Lord desires. As a homeschooling parent, I have a rare gift that allows me to spend more time with my kids. I pray that I will not squander this gift away and use it to it's fullest potential.

Not only is it important for my kids' to develop their gifts, but I should also take a look at how I can be of service to God. I don't have to sit in church every Sunday to be a good Christian. Sitting in church does not make me any more of a Christian than sitting in an oven makes me a biscuit. What makes me a Christian is my heart. I love the Lord. My heart desires to do His will. My heart reminds me to be kind to others, to ask for forgiveness when I fail, to seek to do more. I want to share what God has done for me and can do for everyone. He is faithful. So I want to be faithful. I want to be of service in a way that has been specially designed for me by the hand of God. I believe part of it is through my children. I also believe that homeschooling serves a role in the design of my service. I also think that God uses me through the friendships that I have.

I challenge you today to look at your life and try to discover your God given gifts and seek to use them for the glory of God in some way. If you have a gift of cooking then cook a meal for someone who would really be blessed and deliver it to them. If you have a gift with kids then offer to babysit for a friend who really needs a break. You get the idea.

Father, I want to glorify You with my life and discover the joy in serving You. Please, reveal those gifts You've given me and empower me with the Holy Spirit to use them for Your glory. In Jesus' name, Amen.




1 comment:

Tammy said...

One word...amazazing!!! Thats with two z's!! I love it. Cant wait til tomorrow! I love how you uniquely describe each of the kids...absolutely beautiful!!