11.22.2010

Thanksgiving "Weak"?

November 22, 2010

This begins "Thanksgiving" week! I have spent this month trying to foster an attitude of thankfulness in hopes that it will become second nature to me. I think most of us could stand to be a little more thankful in our day to day lives. I know that all too often, as human beings, we tend to focus on what has not gone "right" in our lives, no matter how trivial. This sets us up to be less happy than we potentially could be. It is very draining to us and those close to us when we are disappointed and despaired. It is difficult to dredge through a day when you feel defeated by the world, just as it is for someone to try to constantly lift you up from those depths of unhappiness.

The answer is simple. Ask yourself~ do I want to be more happy or less happy? Personally, I want to be more happy, so I am going to actively practice looking at the proverbial glass as half full~ all the time! I don't want my thanksgiving to be "weak", I want it to be "strong"! So, next time something does not turn out exactly the way you would have hoped for, choose to be thankful that it isn't worse than it is. Also, go one step further~ choose to believe that God has something greater in store for you than what you have for yourself. Believe that if "it" would have gone "your" way, then you would be missing out on God's Greater plan for your life. Rest in the peace of not having to know what is best for you and just trust God to hold you in His hands and lead you!

"I will thank the Lord because he is just; I will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High." Psalm 7:17


"You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy, that I might sing praises to you and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever!" Psalm 30:11-12


"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments: