1.18.2012

Be Sweet

January 18, 2012

"Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body." Proverbs 16:24

The other day a friend posted a bible verse on my Facebook wall with a little note saying that she loved our friendship. It probably literally took her less than one minute to do. But let me tell you, my heart was so touched. It was satisfied. It smiled! It made me feel really good that she loves and values the relationship that we have. It made me feel really special to be part of something that matters to someone else.
There are so many times that I will think something about someone else that would probably bring a smile to their heart and possibly make a difference in their life. But too many times I refrain. Why do I do this? Maybe it's because I think that it won't make a difference to them. Maybe it's because of that crazy self-esteem competition thing that girls sometimes have going on that makes me think crazy thoughts about her being better than me? 
{What? I am the only one who ever has that issue? >insert giant embarrassed face here<}

Too many times I have had a conversation with a friend where she shared with me that she's dealing with an insecurity and I quickly realize that had I given her that encouragement, that compliment that was actively on my mind, it would have helped her so much in that moment. That gets me thinking. If I had no idea that my best friend was struggling at the time, then what about people I don't know so well. Just because someone looks like they have it all together on the outside, doesn't mean they've got it going on on the inside!
The Illusion
The Reality

I've said it many times before. Our job, my job as a Christian is to show people the love of Jesus. Maybe God puts it on our hearts to share things with others because He knows the impact and the difference that those words can make on a hurting heart. Maybe He's testing our obedience to follow wherever He may lead. Whatever the case may be, sharing a lovely thought, a kind word, a compliment has the potential to do so much good.  

When I think a nice thought about someone else, I'm going to say it to them. 


"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17

No comments: