1.09.2012

Optimistic Pessimism?

January 9, 2012



Freddie and I were talking the other day about a certain event that happened and how the media influenced public opinion on the matter.  Generally, it is the media who steers popular belief in one direction or another. What a great responsibility. Unfortunately, all too often, opportunities are missed to do good and make a positive difference. Usually "news stories" are angled to fulfill selfish agendas and promote criticism and scoff.



On a smaller scale, we each hold the same power in our lives and the lives of many around us. Without even knowing it, often you can guide someone's thoughts and conclusions about a given topic. We voice our judgments and interpretations and sell our point of view. The question is, does our point of view advance the Kingdom of God or not? Do we encourage others or do we rain down despair and gloom? Is the glass half empty or is it half full?



No matter how thin, there are two sides to every pancake. You can make a choice to see the good or the bad in any situation. Your focus has more influence than you might be aware of. We must all make a decision to be conscientious of how we allow ourselves to react to any given circumstance. We need to be particular in  our outlook. We must be encouraging and positive.


This new year, 2012, I have claimed to be my year of Service. {Trust me, not because of my own choosing, but God has laid it upon my heart and is leading me there.} Part of Service is serving others ~ my family, my friends, and my community. But it is also Serving my King. If I am going to Serve my God well, I must be deliberate and steadfast. I must make myself aware of how my words and my voice can either give hope or promote despondency. I have to make a choice in advance to see God in everything and bring that Hope to life!

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:1-2

No comments: