1.30.2012

Teacher, Preacher? Maid, Nurse?

January 30, 2012

Who am I? I thought I had figured that out a long time ago. And to some degree I have. But, I find myself explaining myself way too much when people ask me where I work. It's like I don't want them to think that I'm not smart enough or that I'm too lazy to go out into the world and keep a job. So, I always seem to give my resume. Like I have to explain to them that staying home and raising my children is my choice! It's not the default.

I take my job as a mom very seriously. I'm always looking for opportunities to grow as a mother. Recently I've been thinking a lot about what I'm supposed to be doing in my job as a parent. It's so much more than sitting around and watching raunchy soap operas all day long {which I don't do} in my pajamas {which I might do}.

I am charged with more than the housework, which is a big deal and a large part of the job.

I also have to keep my kids fed and healthy, safe and happy.

I have also taken on the responsibility of being their teacher. Not only do I have to teach them their ABC's & 123's, I have to teach them all about everything. From how to treat others, how to be responsible, how to manage your money, how to cook, how to forgive, to how to play and love. It's my job to instill a healthy dose of fear into my kids in a moment and then spend the rest of my life trying to undo what I thought was such a good idea in the first place {see this post}.

Sometimes it becomes easy to get complacent and lose focus. Sometimes, I let precious opportunities for learning slip through my fingers. I tend to forget that even though the days are long, the years are short.

I find that complacency is most evident in the area of teaching them all about God. Sure, we talk about God a lot. We work on applying His Word in our lives. We talk about prayer. We faithfully attend church. But I feel like I need to be doing more. So I am going to begin a short Bible study each morning. We'll go over a scripture and talk about it briefly. I'm sure my new plan will be met with whining and resistance, but it will be the perfect opportunity to introduce my very first mini-Bible-study:

"Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, 'children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.' Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain." Philippians 2:14-16




No comments: