1.16.2012

Something Beautiful

January 16, 2012

"How do I get to Heaven?"

The answer is simple. 

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

This is arguably the most well known verse in the Bible.

So is believing enough?

I think it is. But, I also think that it's not that simple.

Once you believe, once you ask Jesus to come into your life, once you make that decision, something happens. Something unexpected. Enter the Holy Spirit.

If you are sincere then you will begin to feel the tugging on your heart. You will begin to hear the whispers of God. You will begin to grow hungry. You will begin a beautiful journey. One that you did not anticipate.

Is this journey always easy? Absolutely not. 

Sometimes I think that this is too hard for me. But, in the same instant I consider the alternative. I realize that living without God is even harder. I would much rather walk through this life with God than try to escape it without Him.

We all travel at different paces. I know some people who accept Jesus as their Savior and within mere months they are so on fire that they are blazing trails and influencing hearts along the way. Others, like me, make that decision and spend years "wandering in the wilderness". Teetering between submission and rebellion. But, once I gave in to the call for my whole heart, I have been filled with such a peace and a hope and a help. I don't ever want to go back. 

Am I a "Jesus Freak"? Well, that is left up to the observer, I guess. I do know that I am absolutely in love with God. You know how the love you feel for your husband (wife) and children is almost tangible? Well, I have that for Jesus, too. I am completely, utterly in love. I am in a committed relationship. 
I have found Something Beautiful!

Does that mean that I always get it right? No. I often do things, in regards to God, my marriage, and my parenting that I wish I wouldn't have done. But that's okay. We don't run off and get divorced if we make a mistake. We apologize. We forgive. We try harder. We move forward. Same thing with our parenting. And it's no different in our Christian walk. I tell you. Sometimes the hardest thing is learning how to forgive yourself when you've disappointed someone. 

My job as a Christian is not to get it right all the time. {Thank you Jesus!} My job is not to hit the streets preaching fire and brimstone. My job is to love and to serve. I just need to love others the way Jesus did and to serve others the same way Jesus did. Yeah. It's easier said than done sometimes. Lord knows I have come across plenty people who are just plain difficult to love. Sometimes it would be way easier to hit them in the face with a skillet. {Don't do that!} But, God didn't say for us to love the lovable. We are to love everyone. He didn't say for us to do for those who do for us. We are to serve everyone. {That can be really hard.} But, God will use our obedience to change hearts and lives. And isn't that worth it?



"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few." Matthew 7:13-14


"Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor." Romans 12:10


"As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God, whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies- in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen." 1Peter 4:10-11

No comments: