3.03.2011

He's Got a (game) Plan!

March 3, 2011

Do your kids like to play video games? Mine sure do. Not only do we have the ever popular WII, we also have a PS3. I must be such a girl because, for the life of me, I cannot figure out WHY we would need two gaming systems, not to mention their Nintendo DS's and computers! My kids have so many games to play on these devices. I don't even want to know how much money we've spent. So, when I find these game discs lying around, waiting to be scratched to the point of being rendered junk, it maddens me! I know that they are young, but they are certainly not too young to appreciate the value of having nice toys. Especially when I've clearly warned them that they would lose the privilege of playing video games if I found ONE more game out of it's case. I just don't understand why it is so difficult to follow simple instructions.

  1. Remove game from case.
  2. Insert into device.
  3. Play game.
  4. Remove game.
  5. Return to appropriate case.
  6. We all live happily ever after.
  7. The End.
Well, as you can probably guess, I found about 4 video games just lying around, waiting to be scratched to the point of being rendered junk today. So, now it's no video games for a week!

You know, God gives us simple instructions, too. And time and time again, I ignore something He's asked of me.  Why do I this? Was I not listening when He spoke to me? Is it not important enough in my opinion? Am I being belligerent? Am I too lazy to do what He's asked? Is my short-term memory shot from too much aspartame? (Yes, I know, lame excuse. But you can't blame a girl for trying.)

Listen, we are going to mess up. That's why it was necessary for Jesus to die. But, come on. Let's be honest. There are plenty of times that we, well, at least I, disobey with full knowledge and conviction. I'm just asking for things to turn to junk. "So every tree that does not produce good fruit is chopped down and thrown into the fire." Matthew 7:19

I have to be careful to pay attention to God. I have to make His word a priority. There will be times when it's necessary that I put my tail between my legs and give up my own will and follow His. I am going to have to put forth effort to be ever mindful of the things that God wants for me to accomplish and then move in obedience. I'm going to have to give up Diet Coke... oh, wait, never mind. "My child, listen to me and treasure my instructions. Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding. Cry out for insight and understanding. Search for them as you would for lost money or hidden treasure. Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord, and you will gain knowledge of God." Proverbs 2:1-5

Once I accepted the ransom that hung on the cross, I began to change. I now want to rely on God. It makes no sense to me NOT to. " 'For I know the plans I have for you,' says the Lord. 'They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for me in earnest, you will find me when you seek me.' " Jeremiah 29:11-13  He's the Man with the Plan and He promises me hope! When I think of living my life without Him, I can see just how hopeless it is. When I think that following Him is too hard, I think of the alternative and I'm slapped up side the head with the realization that living without Him is harder!

"And I will give them singleness of heart and put a new spirit within them. I will take away their hearts of stone and give them tender hearts instead, so they will obey my laws and regulations. They they will truly be my people and I will be their God." Ezekiel 11:19-20

No comments: