3.31.2011

Time to Shape Up

March 31, 2011

One of my bestest friends' husband is a personal trainer. Hence, he owns his own gym. Hence, he owns all the workout equipment a girl (guy) could dream of. Hence, I have free access to said gym with my bestie/cheerleader/coach/workout partner AND I have a built-in "babysitter" for my kids because my oldest and youngest children are best friends with their kids! So, you're waiting to see a picture of my super toned body? Sorry. I haven't taken advantage of my "friend with benefits".  "Why not?", you ask in utter shock! Because of one simple, four-letter word... I'm LAZY. Such a shame. Maybe it's time to put some effort into getting the things I want. (ie A smoking hot body. Okay, maybe I'm dreaming, but it COULD be better than it is now.)

So, now I'm thinking about other areas of my life where I may have gotten LAZY as well. The first area that comes to mind is my prayer life. Yeah. I know. Not proud. It's not that I don't pray. I do. I just don't pray often enough. The bible tells me in 1Thessalonians 5:17-18 "pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." To me, that means that there should constantly be a prayer on my lips.

"Keep alert and pray. Otherwise temptation will overpower you. For though the spirit is willing enough, the body is weak!" Matthew 26:41 Those are Jesus' words, people! Keep alert and pray. In addition to a constant prayer, I should mindfully pray. That means, I should hide myself away from distractions with the sole purpose of prayer! During those times (not often enough) when I do this, everything else in the world all but disappears while I visit with God. Those are powerful moments in my life. Special. It keeps me tethered exactly where I need to be! Where I want to be.

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." " Philippians 4:6-7 When things go off track, when there is an unwelcome change to my life, when there seems that there is no way out of the trouble ahead of me, I am promised the peace of God and I have absolutely no reason to fret- I need only to pray! "Be glad for all God is planning for you. Be patient in trouble, and always be prayerful." Romans 12:12

"Through each day the Lord pours his unfailing love upon me, and through each night I sing his songs, praying to God who gives me life." Psalms 43:8 It's almost an instinct to pray during hard times, but, what about when things are going well? Shouldn't we offer prayers of praise and thanks for keeping us safe, happy, and blessed? "Your unfailing love is better to me than life itself; how I praise you! I will honor you as long as I live, lifting up my hands to you in prayer. You satisfy me more than the riches of foods. I will praise you with songs of joy." Psalm 63:3-5

Guess it's time for a workout- in more ways than one.

No comments: