3.28.2011

The Two Shall Become One

March 28, 2011

My nephew got married this weekend. It was a beautiful wedding and we are so glad to welcome his new wife into our family. The food was good and everyone had a great time catching up with family and friends they hadn't seen in forever!

They'd asked Aubree to serve as the flower girl and she was the prettiest flower girl I've ever seen! She was so proud to be wearing her "princess" dress and high-heeled shoes. She had a wreath of fresh baby's breath in her hair and she absolutely sparkled (from all the glitter that we doused her with. For the record, my bathroom looks like the sparkle fairy threw up everywhere)!

I was not the only person who thought she was irresistible.  You see, the ring bearer also had his eyes on my baby daughter. He chased her up, down, in, and around that banquet hall. He'd grab her by the hand and off they'd go, having the time of their little lives. They laughed and played and had not a care in the world except keeping track of each other. (He even taught her how to "break dance". How a three year old knows anything about the 80's is beyond me.) It was really something to see how they hit it off and so quickly became enamored with each other. (We plan on locking her in her room and not letting her out until she's fifty-two!) All she talked about for two days was her new friend!

Weddings are so exciting. Everyone gets nostalgic. You can't help but to think back to your own wedding day. I remember how promising things felt on my wedding day. The world was at my feet. Nothing was impossible as long as I was by his side. I loved him. But, there was also so much that I didn't know. I didn't know how difficult days could become. I didn't know the tears I'd cry. I didn't know that sometimes the only thing harder than staying would be leaving. And I didn't know that I could actually love him more than I did that day. I didn't know that he would earn my respect in ways then unimaginable. I didn't know that he would grow to become as much a part of me as I am. I didn't know how much he would love me.

Time has revealed so much to me. It has shown me that I can always be more than I am. That I can give more than I thought I could. That I can love more than I ever imagined. It has shown me that I can survive disappointment, as the giver and the receiver. It has shown me who my true friends are. And I have learned that God loves me more than I think I deserve. Time has touched me with hurt, loss, and despair. But, it has also touched me with love, life, and forgiveness. Throughout the good and bad, we have held on to each other as tightly as we could. We've been steadfast in the love that we've always felt for each other. We dragged ourselves out of difficulties and danced on the clouds with each other in celebration! I couldn't think of anyone I'd rather share it all with. We were made for each other. I am blessed!

"And the Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make him a companion who will help him." So the Lord God formed from the soil every kind of animal and bird. He brought them to Adam to see what he would call them and Adam chose a name for each one. He gave names to all the livestock, birds, and wild animals. But still there was no companion suitable for him. So the Lord God caused Adam to fall into a deep sleep. He took one of Adam's ribs and closed up the place from which he had taken it. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib and brought her to Adam. "At last!" Adam exclaimed. "She is part of my own flesh and bone! She will be called 'woman' because she was taken out of a man." This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one. Now, although Adam and his wife were both naked, neither of them felt any shame." Genesis 2:18-25

No comments: