3.02.2011

Let's Eat: Week 1

March 2, 2011

Watching My Weight "Wednesday"

I hope I didn't lose any of my followers just now. (By the way, I'm up to a grand total of 18 now! WooHoo! If you're not one of the 18, I'd love for you to click the Follow Me button on the right side of the page a little further down.) 

If you read my post yesterday, you know that I am on Day 3 of a new "low carb" diet that my friend's husband, Steven Speyrer, suggested. (He's a personal trainer.) I'm hoping to drop 15 pounds. I am in constant search for low carb food options, so, I figured that I would dedicate Wednesdays (at least for a little while) to recipes I've discovered. Ironically enough, it's Mrs. Steven Speyrer who turned me on to today's recipe. You really should try it. Brant & Aubree both gobbled it up for lunch today- Brant even asked for a second helping!

*Disclaimer: I am a Cajun. I do not "do" measurements as most people do. I do measurements in splashes and sprinkles. Please allow me some grace.* 

Egg Rolls Minus the Roll

  • 3 pounds of ground meat (I use turkey or pork)
  • 2 packages of cole slaw (green & purple cabbage and carrots)
  • 1 TBSP of sesame seed oil
  • approx. 1-2 TBSP of ground ginger
  • approx. 1/4 - 1/2 C of soy sauce
  • 1 - 2 TBSP garlic powder (according to taste)
  • approx. 1 TBSP cayenne pepper (optional)
  • approx. 1 TBSP olive oil

I heat my olive oil in a large pot and then add my ground meat. Once it begins to cook, I add my sesame seed oil (do not add too much, it IS strong), ground ginger, soy sauce, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Mix it well. and continue to cook. You should taste your meat once it's cooked to see if you need to add more soy sauce. If you add too much, it can get too salty, but if you don't add enough it will be too bland.  Once it's seasoned the way you like it, add in your cole slaw and continue cooking it only until it is evenly mixed together. You don't want to cook it too long to the point that it starts to get soft. You want it to still have a little crunch to it. By the time it's mixed, it will be done. Remove it from the heat and enjoy!


(If you're not watching carbs or dieting, you can spoon the mixture into egg roll wrappers, roll, and fry. They are scrumptious!)

"You say, 'Food is for the stomach, and the stomach is for food.' This is true, though someday God will do away with both of them." 1Corinthians 6:13

"Those who think it is all right to eat anything must not look down on those who won't. And those who won't eat certain foods must not condemn those who do, for God has accepted them." Romans 14:3

No comments: