9.16.2010

Breakfast~ It's Not Just for the Stomach Anymore

September 16, 2010


Breakfast, they say, is the most important meal of the day. It's the meal you eat after a long night of "fasting", and it can set the pace for the rest of your day. It should be healthy, full of vitamins and minerals~ fuel for your body to face what the day has to offer. It is shown that eating a good breakfast gives you a boost of energy, heightens your attention span, and gives you an overall better sense of well being. Studies have shown that eating healthy breakfasts decreases the risk for chronic disease, increases longevity, and promotes general health. Are you guilty of not properly feeding your body in the morning? Do you do like I do and count a GIANT cup of coffee as all your body will need to start the day? (I believe in coffee, please, don't get me wrong!) But, our bodies deserve so much more. Not only should we focus on taking care of ourselves, but we should also be mindful to do these things as an example to our children.


If we are genuine about wanting to take care of ourselves, we shouldn't just feed our bodies cheerios, oatmeal, and eggs. We really need to feed our bodies with God's word~ spiritual food! Each day we face many trials, temptations, disappointments, and opportunities to show God's love to others. If we are running on fumes, then we don't have much to offer ourselves or the rest of the world. We should get into the habit of taking some time every morning to pray to God, seeking His direction, and then opening our bibles to seek His instruction. "Your word is a lamp for my feet and a light for my path." Psalm 119:105 “When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart’s delight.” Jeremiah 15:16 


It can be very difficult to get through some days. But, if we take care of our bodies and spirits, we will have the advantage over the struggles we are faced with. We just have to take time to "arm" ourselves with the proper tools so that we can be productive in life. 


I know that there are many nights, when I sit down at the end of a long day, I feel as though I have literally been in a fight. Sometimes, even though I am tired, I feel like I was well prepared and won the battle, but other times, I feel like I got whipped! Those days are probably the days when I didn't take the time to feed myself very well in the morning before setting out for my day. 


When Drake plays football, he has to wear protective gear to avoid getting seriously injured. We should also put on our "pads" before going out. You wouldn't go to work barefooted, would you? When you ride in your car, you put on your seatbelt in case you get into an accident. You strap your babies into car seats. When you go on roller coasters for fun, you make sure to use the safety restraints so that you don't get hurt. You put on a life jacket when you ride in a boat. So, why wouldn't you "dress yourself" in the things that God has given to protect you from the evils in life?  "Use every piece of God's armor to resist the enemy in the time of evil, so that after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the sturdy belt of truth and the body armor of God's righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News, so that you will be fully prepared. In every battle you will need faith as your shield to stop the fiery arrows aimed at you by Satan. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Pray at all times and on every occasion in the power of the Holy Spirit. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all Christians everywhere." Ephesians 6:13-18


I have a lot to do today. I am going to get dressed, feed my body, and be sure not to neglect my spirit! Won't you join me?

No comments: