9.09.2010

Happy Birthday, Momma!

September 9, 2010


Today is my momma's birthday. She was a young mother. I was born when she was only sixteen years old. She turns fifty-four today.

There are so many things that I want to say about my mom. She is kind and thoughtful. She always has an ear to listen. She has so much empathy and compassion for others. There is not one mean bone in her body. She has a servant's heart. But, the most amazing thing about her is that as a "Grammie", she ROCKS!

She has her grandchildren spoiled rotten. And it's not about giving them material things. She gives of herself. I admire how she takes the time to talk to them to try to explain things to them. When I am having a hard time with one of my kids, and they have the "Mom is the meanest person on earth" attitude, she always makes an effort to get down to their level and encourage them and try to get them to see things differently. She tries to do each one of my kids' chore for them every so often to show them that she loves them. She plays games with them. She is just a really good grandmother. She knows that there are rules for my kids, but, she enforces them with a gentle hand, and a tender heart.

I love my mom. I am grateful that she has never beaten me as a child. I appreciate the work ethic she instilled in me. I am blessed because she gave me a love of turning a house into a home. As I think back to the time when my sister and I were preschoolers, I can recall how good of a mommy she was to us. Those days were very happy for me.  Today, I look back on the things that I did not always like about her, and realize that she did the best she possibly could. And it wasn't so bad after all. 

I genuinely pray that God will bless her today, tomorrow, and forever. I thank her for everything that she does for me. I hope she knows that it does not go unnoticed nor unappreciated! And I wish her many happy birthdays to come!

"Listen, my child, to what your father teaches you. Don't neglect your mother's teaching. What you learn from them will crown you with grace and clothe you with honor." Proverbs 1:8-9













No comments: