10.28.2010

Peeping "Dana"?

October 28, 2010

Have you ever been driving down the street at night through a neighborhood of gorgeous homes? They all have their lights on and you wonder what's going on inside? Dying for a peek of what it must look like? Then you see a house with it's curtains open and you slow down to soak in as much of the inside as you possibly can~ trying to get ideas of how others live and decorate? (Okay, if you're a guy reading this, you cannot relate. You'll just have to trust me on this one.) Well, that's kind of what it's like reading various blogs. If you haven't noticed them, on the right hand side of this page, toward the bottom under "Other Blogs That I Enjoy..." is a list of blogs that I actively read. Some are about home schooling, some have a more spiritual base, many are about Frugal Home Decor! My hobby! Oh yeah! I get to peek into the windows of the homes of all these women who are very much like me and steal their best ideas!

I was recently inspired to do a kitchen "decorate-over". I'm sorry that I don't have any "before" pics to share with you, but here are the afters. I know it doesn't seem like much to you, but the only money I spent was $11.99 for a set of 3 apothecary's that you'll see on top of the microwave. The re-do's purpose is to provide a more functional space that looks clean and neat! Mission accomplished.
The microwave HAD to stay where it is. No options. I have a small kitchen. There was a convection oven just to the right of the stove where the "coffee station" is now. By removing it I am sacrificing the oven and the convenience of it, BUT, I am gaining valuable counter space.

To the left of the stove is a picture frame that I intend to put pictures of people I actually know and hang it on the wall. Who says that you cannot have photos on the wall in your kitchen?

The "stand" next to the microwave is actually a cake stand that I had in the closet. It's base was white with blue snowflakes on it, so I only took it out at CHRISTmas time. Well, a little bit of paint and we've got a year-round candle stand! I really like it. The picture does not do it justice. My fridge sure looks junky. Sorry. But I just love the idea of pics of my family on display there. Sometimes we must sacrifice beauty for things that are more important.

My coffee station. I love the way this functions. And believe it or not it looks way better than what was here before. I absolutely love my paper towel holder! I've had it since the "rebuild after the hurricane". It's wrought iron and really pretty! These pics just don't do my kitchen any justice!

The point of this picture is to show my knives in a mosaic candle holder. They were in a wooden block, but, we all know how beautiful those things are. This is much better looking and they are still within easy access for adults, not Aubree!



Blogging! It can be such a source of encouragement and inspiration. I have found both in several different blogs. And I sincerely hope that my blog is encouraging and inspirational to you, too!





1 comment:

Marty said...

Thanks for letting us take a peek into your kitchen. =)
Don't you just love it when you're organized?
You can peek into my fridge if ya want, lol.
http://martysahm.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-fridge-is-clean.html