10.12.2010

Wait for it.... wait for it.... wait for it.......

October 12, 2010

Patience. It's not my favorite thing in the world. I don't like to even talk about it, because I am afraid that God will give me circumstances in which I will need to develop my skill at it. Ridiculous, right?  "Whatever is good and perfect comes to us from God above, who created all heaven's lights. Unlike them, he never changes or casts shifting shadows." James 1:17

I've always known that I am not good happy about being patient. But, really, who is? None of us enjoy waiting for something~ whether it's for an argument to end, tempers to settle,  a new car, prince charming, financial excellence, or a baby. We, especially today, are a people of "I want what I want when I want it." We are used to everything happening now. We get annoyed if our internet connection is too slow, or if our cell phone's reception is less than perfect.

"But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Here there is no conflict with the law." Galatians 5:22-23  If I am honest in my desire to be a Spirit Tree why should I fear patience? It is obviously a fruit of the Spirit. Something that I have perceived to be a bad thing, is actually proof of the way I live my life.

When I think about it, I have had to be patient my whole life. There were the typical things that require patience like waiting for Christmas morning or my birthday, but, the most shaping event was waiting for me to get pregnant. It took six years! That's a long time to wait for something that you think you cannot live without~ for something you don't want to live without. Having come out the other side of the battle with patience with FOUR beautiful, healthy, smart kids, whenever I'm faced with this challenge I should look at it as a God-given opportunity to grow. {So much for the self-pep-talk. I'm still scared. I know firsthand how painful it can be. Ooops.}

During those years of my life, when much patience was required of me, my favorite scripture in the bible was  "Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord." Psalm 27:14 I wasn't necessarily aware at the time that I was growing in the "patience" department, as crazy as that may sound, but, I knew that this was the message that God was giving me, without a doubt. Not only are we supposed to wait patiently for God's timing, we are supposed to do so with courage! {Again, not my strong suit.} When I felt as though I could not hold on any longer I would cling tightly to this verse, like it was God standing on the sidelines of my life cheering me on to an overtime win.

"God blesses the people who patiently endure testing. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." James 1:12

I am not excited, anxious, or zealous to see where God brings me in the patience department. I have had my fair share of exercises and the scars to prove it. But, I know that He loves me, He wants the best for me. And if He brings me down a long, slow road, then I will remember that He is walking it with me.

No comments: