10.06.2010

Time Management

October 6, 2010


I enjoyed the fact that I was able to stay home all day today. I took advantage of having no extracurricular activities and decided to assess Karli's winter wardrobe. She's been telling me, "I have no clothes that fit me, Mom." Well, when your "tweenage" girl tells you this you take it with a grain of salt, especially when there are about twelve pairs of jeans in her closet. Low and behold, I think we managed to squeeze into two, maybe three pairs of jeans. We weeded out about seven dresses and several shirts, and you wouldn't believe me if I told you how many shoes. Needless to say, my girl has grown a lot since this past winter.


When does that happen? It seems like she was just traipsing around my house in her diaper babbling something about how much she loves me. Now, not so much. Her hair has to be just so before she will even think about walking out the front door. And clothes, oh, please don't get me started! She certainly has a style all her own, with comfort being in the forefront. She is growing into such a responsible individual. She asked me today when would I let her stay home alone. Somebody kill me!


I loved them being babies, but I also enjoy seeing them come into their own. It's kind of cute when Drake says, "Don't scream out my name at the football game. If you have to scream say 'Go Packers'."  Brant will not let me kiss him in front of his friends anymore, and even though it's kind of heartbreaking, it's also kind of funny. Even little Aubree is starting to grow up some. I look at her and I can remember her before she was mobile. I would hold her on my lap and talk to her and she would laugh and coo at me. She is still that same little girl, but, now she is more mobile and definitely more articulate! I cannot believe how fast my kids are changing before my very eyes.


Before I know it, they will each be driving away in a car loaded down with their "life". I need to make sure that I make this precious time count for all I can while I have it. I need to make sure that I know that they know that I love them more than I love myself. I need to make sure they know how to take care of themselves- how to cook and clean, how to shop and budget, how to trust their instincts, how to use a map and a bible, how to respect others and themselves, how to live a life of integrity. And I want them to know that they can always come home!


"And now a word to you fathers. Don't make your children angry by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction approved by the Lord." Ephesians 6:4

No comments: