10.11.2010

I'm Not a Spring Chicken Anymore

October 11. 2010

My favorite season by far is fall.  (See "15 Reasons Why Fall Is My Favorite Season") Here in South Louisiana we suffer from HOT summers, but also, the humidity makes it almost unbearable most days. So, when fall arrives, it is more than welcome! The crispness of the air is like waking up full of energy and excitement! For me, it's like a new beginning filled with promise.

I feel like I am entering into the fall season of my life. In the spring, I was young, new and fresh.  I was oblivious to the "ways of the world". I had no fear of the "summer" that was to come. I actually looked forward to it. Then summer came, and I must admit, I suffered through the heat and humidity. Every once in a while, I was able to cool off with a dip in the "pool", but it was a long, hot summer. Winter is going to come, eventually. It will be a time for me to slow down, snuggle up, and sit tight. Hopefully, the love of my family and benefits of a life well-lived will warm me during the days of bitter cold.

Right now, it's fall. And I am loving it! Don't let anyone tell you that life does not get better with age. I think that I am just now coming into the best years of my life. I have the benefit of time and many life lessons under my belt. The learning process can be and has been painful. I have survived the "sunburns" of  many mistakes and misconceptions. I have survived the "summer heat" of the terrible two's with my children. I have survived the "drought" of finding myself as part of a couple in my marriage. I have survived the "heatstrokes" of naiveté, inexperience, and ignorance. Don't get me wrong. I am not saying, by any means, that I've finally got it all figured out. I am not arrogant enough to believe that it's nothing but smooth sailing from here on. After all, allergy season is the worst in the fall, isn't it? Many of us suffer from sore throats, runny noses, sneezing, and sinus infections in the fall. I know there's no such thing as perfect outside of The Trinity. But, this stage in my life is really pleasant. I've endured enough to have a tiny measure of true wisdom. Many of the growing pains have subsided. And I'm gonna enjoy this season to the fullest before winter arrives!

"Teach us to make the most of our time, so that we may grow in wisdom." Psalm 90:12

P.S. I think that we should not have to do any housework in the fall!

No comments: