10.24.2010

Sacrifice the Battle to Win the War

October 24, 2010

Relationships. They can be so complicated at times. They can be difficult to endure. Sometimes the only thing harder than staying in a relationship is walking away from it. So, how do we make our relationships work? How do we keep things healthy and respectful? How do we survive them?

I am certainly not claiming to be an expert, but, I am "an old pro" do have several years of experience. If I had to give advice on the subject (Hey, it's my blog, I can pretend that everyone wants to know my thoughts on the matter. LOL) I would probably have to say that one of the most important things to remember in a stubborn battle for your own way when you are both wanting different things and seem to be deadlocked, you should do a mental evaluation~ "How badly do I want this versus how badly he wants that?" For example, when Freddie wanted to hang a deer head in my living room, I would assess that he probably wanted it about a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10, where I didn't want it about a 79 on the same scale. I won. When he didn't want to go to California on vacation last year and I did, I wanted it about a 7 and didn't want it about a 9.9. He won. I could go on and on for days. My point is, you have to pick your battles wisely. You are not always going to win each and every time. But, we must remember to put others first, be quick to make sacrifices, and become selfless. This is a good strategy at not losing the war!

"It is more blessed to give than to receive." Acts 20:35


"Live a life filled with love for others, following the example of Christ, who loved you and gave himself as a sacrifice to take away your sins. And God was pleased, because that sacrifice was like sweet perfume to him." Ephesians 4:2