7.09.2010

Affirmation

July 9, 2010

Last night, Drake was trying to convince Freddie of something or other, and I overheard the tail end of his plea. He said, "Momma says that I am getting more mature, and Momma doesn't lie." Wow! From the mouths of babes. What a testimony. I tell you, I could not have been more proud at that moment. I am often proud of my children, they are constantly amazing me in their daily growth, but it's not often that I am given an opportunity to be proud of myself. And believe me, in that moment, I was proud of myself! I have made a conscious effort to live my life in a manner that displays honesty, if nothing else. It is very heartwarming and affirming when even my children can recognize it. It is something that I take very seriously. It is one of the most important lessons that I try to teach my kids. I often tell them, "The only thing you have is your word. Make sure that it is good. Make sure that people can always believe what you say."

It sounds like something that is very easy to do. But, trust me, it is not always easy. Often times, I am tempted to say something that is not true because it would be easier to say. But, I know, that a lie will always catch up with you.

Now, some things are definitely better left unsaid. You must censor yourself. (I have not yet perfected the use of my censor button, but I am working on it.) Honesty can be hurtful to others, embarrassing to yourself, and difficult to be heard. But, when I say something, I want the recipient to know that I am being truthful. I want to be able to be trusted and believed. Honesty is the only choice. Furthermore, others deserve the truth. It is a display of respect towards the other person.

"So put away all falsehood and 'tell your neighbor the truth' because we belong to each other." Ephesians 4:25

"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." Ephesians 4:29

No comments: