7.21.2010

Find the Best

July 21, 2010

I took Drake on a "date" to McDonald's this morning. We rarely have an opportunity to do anything just the two of us. I wanted to make sure he knew that I think he's special. I want him to know that he is important to me. I want him to know that I don't love the others any more than I love him. Turns out, he already knew those things. I guess I am not doing as bad of a job as I sometimes think.

He enjoyed experiencing "frozen coffee" for the first time and he got to eat two hash browns! I made sure to tell him how important being honest and always telling the truth is. I told him that whatever he chooses to do in life it should be something that he loves, that way work will not be as hard as it could be otherwise.

He quizzed me about what I think is "special" about him. He knows already, but, he loves to hear me repeat it as often as I can. He said, "Mom, do you think I am the funniest?" "Yes", I answered. "And am I the smartest kid?" "You are," I confirmed. That's all he needs to know. He knows he is loved. He knows that there are things about him that make him special and different than everyone else.

We all need that. We know that we are not the best at everything. But, there is something in each one of us that is special and validating. Something that is of value to the world. I encourage you to make an effort to look for that special quality in everyone you know and do something to encourage it. It might be that someone is a good photographer, or they make the best pie, or they give the best hugs or advice, or they inspire you to be a better parent, spouse, or friend, they may have an air of peace about them that has a calming effect on everyone around them.... whatever it is- everyone has a unique value to the world! Seek it out and cultivate the goodness and you will harvest goodness in return!

"If your gift is to encourage others, do it! If you have money, share it generously. If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously. And if you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly." Romans 12:8


No comments: