7.27.2010

Be a Magnet

July 27, 2010

"My child, never forget the things I have taught you. Store my commands in your heart, for they will give you a long and satisfying life. Never let loyalty and kindness get away from you! Wear them like a necklace; write them deep within your heart. Then you will find favor with both God and people, and you will gain a good reputation. Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths." Proverbs 3:1-6


Life has come with an instruction manual~ it's called the Bible. God has given us clear instruction as to how to live. He has also given us the "good consequences" of living such a life. Who wants to die young and miserable? I know I don't. I want a "long and satisfying life". How do you attain such a thing- well, the Bible tells us. Obey God. We should behave in a way that we know God would approve.

We should be loyal and kind. The loyal part is pretty easy for me. It may have been a tad more difficult when I was alot younger and still trying to figure out who I was, and claiming my own life. But now, I find it easy to be loyal- most of the time! I have lived long enough to know who is really important in my life. Obviously, my husband and kids, my parents, siblings, and in-laws, and there are a few friends that I cherish as much as my family. I would never want to hurt these people because they are truly important in my life. I would defend them to anyone because I know their heart and intention. I will always be someone they can count on to be in their corner, cheering them on. I will not betray them!

The kindness part is not as easy. Who wants to be nice to someone who has been unjustly rude to you? Who wants to show kindness to someone who seems to never have heard the word before? Some people are just so angry and miserable that it is really super hard to be nice to them. But, you know what? Attitudes rub off. If you let someone else's bad attitude rub off on you then it will eventually have a domino effect into the lives of everyone around you. BUT~ if you force an attitude of kindness that will domino, too. I want to be surrounded with kind, happy people, not mean, angry people!

I was at McDonald's the other day. The woman behind the counter who took my order exuded an air of kindness that was unchallengeable! I thought to myself- "I want to be like that. When people see me, they don't have to know me to know that I have a spirit of kindness and love." Imagine how happy her life must be because of what she attracts? I know that my instinct was to make an effort to show kindness to her. It lightened my mood and made me feel happier. I want that! I don't think that it just comes naturally. I bet she had to work at creating happiness deep within herself before it got to the point where it just pours out of her now.

So, I am going to give my best effort to act the way I want others to act. I want to be surrounded with happy, helpful people who are encouraging and optimistic. So, I am going to act happy, helpful, encouraging, and optimistic. I am going to be a magnet for loyalty and kindness!

"Don't lord it over the people assigned to your care, but lead them by your good example. And when the head Shepherd comes, your reward will be a never-ending share in his glory and honor." 1Peter5:3-4

No comments: