8.02.2010

Bieber Fever for a Jesus Freak?

August 2, 2010

Last night I had the fortune to attend my first "teen sensation" concert with my daughter and a Cajundome full of tweenagers!! The screaming was just what I thought it would be- deafening. People of all ages, little kids, tweens, teens, young adults, and grown-ups, male and female alike, were singing along with Justin Bieber, word for word, jumping up and down in an ecstatic frenzy of excitement and awe. It was really nice to give my daughter that experience.

During the concert, I looked around the packed dome and remembered that one of my favorite artists will be coming to perform here in October. I thought about how much I really want to attend the TobyMac concert. I asked my friend if the tickets were on sale yet and she told me that they have been for a while now. I started to get disappointed, thinking that I may not be able to get tickets later if I decide to attend, but quickly dismissed my worries with the realization that the venue would probably not sell out for a Christian artist. Sitting in a sold out Cajundome, with all these kids, overcome with elation, excitement, indescribable joy and sheer pleasure I wonder how many know as much about Jesus as they do about Justin Bieber? It makes me kind of sad to think that there will not be nearly as many screaming youngsters (or old timers, for that matter) for an artist who sings about God.

I think it's okay that my Jesus Freaks have Bieber Fever. We should spend our walk through this world enjoying our lives and all the beautiful and amazing things God has put here with us. I don't believe that God sent us to earth to be miserable. After all, He put Adam in the Garden of Eden, not a barren desert. But, we should remember that God put us here, and our goal at the end of this journey should be to return to Him! I want to be sure that I have done everything that I can to teach my children about their heavenly Father, so that they can choose Him over everything else. I want them to know all about the Instruction Manual He has given on how to live a life worthy of an eternity in heaven.

"Come, my children, and listen to me, and I will teach you to fear the Lord." Psalm 34:11

"Teach me your ways, O Lord, that I may live according to your truth! Grant me purity of heart, that I may honor you. With all my heart I will praise you, O Lord my God. I will give glory to your name forever, for your love for me is very great. You have rescued me from the depths of death!" Psalm 86:11-13

"Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. May your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing." Psalm 143:10

"Teach your children to choose the right path, and when they are older, they will remain upon it." Proverbs 22:6

"The door to heaven is narrow. Work hard to get in, because many will try to enter, but when the head of the house has locked the door, it will be too late. Then you will stand outside knocking and pleading, 'Lord, open the door for us!' But he will reply, 'I do not know you.'"
Luke 13:24

"Jesus told him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. no one can come to the Father except through me.'" John 14:6

Click on these links to hear a little TobyMac:





No comments: