8.25.2010

Inquiring minds want to know....

August 25, 2010


"Momma, do you drink beer?"


"Don't be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead, let the Holy Spirit fill and control you." Ephesians 5:18


"We should be decent and true in everything we do, so that everyone can approve of our behavior. Don't participate in wild parties and getting drunk, or in adultery and immoral living, or in fighting and jealousy. But let the Lord Jesus Christ take control of you, and don't think of ways to indulge your evil desires." Romans 13:13-14


"When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, your lives will produce these evil results: sexual immorality, impure thoughts, eagerness for lustful pleasure, idolatry, participation in demonic activities, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, divisions, the feeling that everyone is wrong except those in your own little group, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other kinds of sin. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God." Galatians 5:19-21


Drunk- one who drinks or indulges to excess; intoxicated; saturated


I am not proud of the fact that I have been drunk before. But, I have made a decision to not be drunk again. It's easy to keep myself in check by remembering that I have eight eyes watching everything I do. Once, when my kids were little, there was an occasion that I decided to have a beer with my husband. My kids were very quick to point out- "Mom, you don't drink beer!" They notice everything. But, you want to know an even more sobering fact? Even when my kids are not around, God is. He sees everything! Including the hidden depths of my heart (intention). 


I don't believe that one glass of wine will keep me out of Heaven. But, if I want to serve God and follow His commands, then I will not be getting drunk because it will lead to things that are not of God. Things that do not line up with His will for my life. And, yes, my kids are watching, too. I am to be a good example to them. I must behave the way they are supposed to behave. They should not be comfortable seeing me drinking, nor should I be. 





No comments: