8.18.2010

Keep the Change?

August 18, 2010

Have you ever been in a place in your life where you were unhappy with circumstances you were in~ whether it be your job, friendships, marriage, or family relationships? Many of us find ourselves there at different times in our life. How do you deal with it? Do you get angry and frustrated and give up? Do you end up feeling resentment and bitterness? Do you lose something that you once held so dear?

I have found that the easiest way to inspire change is to make a change. I am not saying that it is an easy thing to do. I am saying that "if you keep doing what you have been doing, you are going to keep getting what you have been getting". That's it. Plain and simple. No frills, no bells, no whistles. YOU must take the first step on the road toward where you want to be and you will be surprised to find out that "whomever" will follow you there! (They may arrive a little later than you do, but, they will get there, too!)

I have experienced this first hand. I have been in a situation where I expected and desired the "other person" to be different than "he" was. So, I began with prayer. I prayed earnestly that God would change me to become what "he" wanted and needed me to be for "him". I surrendered to the idea of becoming different than what I was. I fought the human urge to resist. I didn't give in to the argument of "Why should I have to change if 'they' are not willing to change?" I am so glad I did. God made me exactly what "this person" needed me to be at that time. And you know what happened? Over time, "he" was inspired by my commitment to "him" and our "relationship" and my willingness to become more of what "he" needed from me that "he" began making changes, too. I didn't even voice what I needed. It was as though it was clear as day. I believe that we both allowed God to work in us and we are both better off for it today than we once were. We are both better people, and we like ourselves more for it, both as individuals and as "friends".

"At that time the Spirit of the Lord will come upon you with power, and you will prophesy with them. You will be changed into a different person." 1Samuel 10:6

"Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect his will really is." Romans 12:2

No comments: