8.30.2010

Let's Go On a "Treasure" Hunt

August 30, 2010


I just finished reading a book called "The Year of Living Biblically" by A.J. Jacobs. I really enjoyed reading it. I do not necessarily agree with each point the author tries to make, or the beliefs that he claims. What I did get out of this book is something on a deeper level for me than where I have been in my spiritual life lately. I have consciously been growing my relationship with God. I have been focused, for the most part, on the area of moral growth. Some areas have been easy; cut and dry. Other areas are a little more challenging. This book has got me thinking more about biblical law and history; about how life was lived in the beginning, who begot whom (the family tree), the customs, and the rules.


There are many things the author has cited throughout the book that I had no idea about~ different practices and beliefs, a lot of it is Jewish, but there are also differences in Christian ideology as well. There is some very rich history in the bible. I am intrigued and my interest is certainly piqued. I am wanting to study the bible for different reasons now. I want to learn more about the WHY's of different religions. I am even beginning to question my own religious affiliation. {Nobody panic here! I am NOT converting, yet. Maybe never.} I now have a desire to discover for myself what I believe based on what the bible says. I am ashamedly admitting that I am in a religion because it is what my parents have told me to do. There are a few things that I KNOW that I believe with all of my heart. I know that Jesus was born of the virgin Mary, lived a sinless life on earth, was crucified, died, and was risen, and He will come again. I know that the bible is the word of God from God.


I am probably still going to be eating rabbit and crawfish. (Leviticus 11)  I probably will not be playing a 10 stringed harp (Psalm 33:2) or encouraging Freddie to take on any more wives like Jacob (two) and King David (eight) and Solomon (seven hundred).  I do want to explore the bible. I want to understand religious roots to the conflict in the Middle East. I want to know for myself if wine was wine (fermented) back then or was it grape juice as some claim it was? I realize that there is so much in the bible that I do not understand due to my lack of study. I want to be able to have an intelligent conversation with someone if they want to discuss the bible or religion with me. 


I am inspired. I am excited. I am on a mission! Who wants to join me? Who wants to discover all the hidden "treasures" of the bible? I know it doesn't necessarily sound like a fun adventure, especially when you stop and think about all the laundry piled up in baskets, dishes that are sitting in the sink, kids that have to be driven to this practice and that one, trips to the grocery store all waiting for you! When you do finally get a minute to yourself, you probably want to soak, neck deep, in a tub full of bubbles and then climb into bed and fall into an eight hour coma. But, I challenge you to give it a try. Think of one topic that you would like to know more about and make it your mission to find out what the bible says about it. Just see where that takes you. If you decide that you don't enjoy it, then so be it. You haven't lost much, or anything at all. But, you may just discover a "priceless treasure".


"These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far away. Their worship is a farce, for they replace God's commands with their own man-made teachings. For you ignore God's specific laws and substitute your own traditions." Mark 7:7-8


"Until John the Baptist began to preach, the laws of Moses and the messages of the prophets were your guides. But now the Good News of the Kingdom of God is preached, and eager multitudes are forcing their way in . But that doesn't mean that the law has lost its force in even the smallest point. It is stronger and more permanent than heaven and earth." Luke 17:16-17



No comments: